An abdominoplasty, best known as a tummy tuck, creates a flatter abdomen by removing sagging, protruding areas of excess fat and skin in the midsection.
Greenwood plastic surgeon Dr. Ted Vaughn will tailor your tummy tuck procedure to your unique needs. Some patients, for example, benefit from a partial abdominoplasty—also known as a mini tummy tuck—while others require a complete abdominoplasty with liposuction to achieve the desired results. For more information about your options for a tighter abdominal area, please call (864) 605-3151 today.
Deciding if a Tummy Tuck is Right for You
You may benefit from a tummy tuck if you experience:
- Stretched abdominal skin and muscles after pregnancy
- Excess skin after substantial weight loss
- Sagginess and loss of abdominal muscle tone due to aging
- Localized areas of fat that do not respond to diet and exercise
- Genetic predisposition to fatty deposits
Trimming excess tissue and tightening muscle laxity in the abdominal wall, a tummy tuck reduces the protruding or hanging abdomen caused by the above situations. Ideal candidates for a tummy tuck include:
- People in good general health who want a flatter abdominal profile and a more aesthetically pleasing contour of the hips
- People who have undergone substantial weight loss and now have excess skin; you should be close to your ideal weight before the procedure as results may be lost if you experience significant weight gain or loss after your tummy tuck
- Women who do not plan to become pregnant after a tummy tuck, as results may be lost in the event of pregnancy
The type of tummy tuck procedure best suited to address your specific condition will be determined during your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Vaughn.
Tummy Tuck Variations
At Piedmont Plastic Surgery, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Vaughn performs mini tummy tucks, complete tummy tucks and minor variations to suit your body type and meet your aesthetic goals.
In a complete tummy tuck, an incision is made that spans the abdomen from one hip to the other. After the incision is made, the skin is lifted away from the muscle and the vertical abdominal muscles are tightened with sutures, providing a flatter abdominal contour and a more toned appearance. Liposuction is then performed around the hips to create a narrower waistline. Excess skin will be trimmed away and the incision closed.
A mini tummy tuck is a more limited procedure used to remove excess fat and skin localized below the belly button. A much shorter incision is used in this procedure. Typically, a mini tummy tuck tightens abdominal muscles but does not remove skin from the upper abdomen.
Your individual tummy tuck solution will depend on the unique aspects of your physique as well as your goals. During your personal consultation, Dr. Vaughn can answer your questions about abdominoplasty and recommend an option designed to meet your specific needs.
The results from your tummy tuck can last for years if you maintain healthy eating habits and exercise regularly.
If you live in Greenwood, Greenville, Anderson, Columbia or Laurens, SC or Augusta, GA and would like to learn more about your tummy tuck options, please contact Piedmont Plastic Surgery using the form on this website or call (864) 605-3151 to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Vaughn.