Posted: February 14, 2019
Preparing for breast augmentation is simple. If you follow a few basic steps, the day of your surgery will go smoothly, and you will set yourself up for a comfortable recovery. Before you know it, you will be enjoying the results of your procedure!
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ted Vaughn has helped many women achieve fuller, more symmetrical, and shapelier breasts. If you follow the pre-operative instructions that he gives you, as well as the tips below, you will be fully prepared for your breast augmentation surgery.
Take Time off Work
The exact length of your recovery will vary based on several factors, including the specifics of your procedure and your body’s healing ability. Depending on the nature of your job and your rate of healing, you may be able to return to work within a week of your procedure.
Plan to take at least a week off from work. Avoid scheduling your surgery immediately before any social events or other commitments. And make sure that you can avoid strenuous physical activity for at least four weeks after your procedure.
Arrange a Ride Home
For your comfort and safety, you cannot drive yourself home after surgery. Arrange a ride with a close friend or loved one who can take you to and from your procedure.
Additionally, make sure that someone can be at home with you during the first 24 hours after your procedure. You will be tired and potentially drowsy as the anesthesia wears off. It is important to have someone around to help you during this time.
Prepare Your Space for a Comfortable Recovery
When you get home after your surgery, the last thing that you want to do is realize that you are out of food, you have a pile of chores, and you don’t have your prescriptions. Take some time before your surgery to plan for your post-operative needs.
For example, you should consider:
- Making your bed: You’re going to need a comfortable place to relax after your surgery. Transform your bed into a pleasant recovery space with clean sheets and clean pillowcases.
- Gathering your entertainment: Put books, tablets, headphones, your TV remote, and any other forms of entertainment on your nightstand.
- Preparing food: Do your grocery shopping in advance and buy things that are easy to make. Also, try to make a few healthy meals ahead of time and freeze them so that you will have nutritious food to eat during your recovery.
- Putting necessities within reach: Move any hard to reach items to a lower level such as a countertop. You won’t be able to lift your arms over your head for a little while, and you don’t want to strain yourself reaching into a high cabinet.
- Picking up your prescriptions: In most cases, you can pick up any necessary post-surgical medications before your procedure. By doing this, you can avoid making a stop at the pharmacy after surgery.
Follow Dr. Vaughn’s Pre-Operative Instructions
Dr. Vaughn will have additional pre-operative instructions that you need to follow. You may be asked to:
- Stop smoking
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory drugs
- Adjust your current medications or take new ones
- Get a blood test
Schedule Your Greenwood Breast Augmentation Consultation
If you are considering breast augmentation, call 864-223-0505 to schedule a consultation. Dr. Vaughn will happily answer any additional questions that you may have about preparing for the procedure. At Piedmont Plastic Surgery, we welcome patients from Greenwood, Greenville, and Columbia, South Carolina as well as nearby Augusta, Georgia.